Saturday, August 28, 2010

Book Sling

This is by far my favourite project to date.

I started this a while ago, but I've been super slow in completing it and hanging it!!
But it is done, pictures have been taken and now we blog :)

This is a BOOK SLING.


I love it.

It serves as a display, a safe place to keep the "good" books, and it's even like a bit of book artwork on your child's wall.

I love it so much, that I'd love to one day make one for my livingroom some day (in an appropriate fabric of course).

I would love to take credit for this, BUT it's from the creative mind of blogger Penny Carnival. See her tutorial HERE.

Here's some fun facts from my own:
-I used clearance fabric from the outdoor fabric section for "end of summer". It was $5 regular $22. It's a bit of a heavier material, so I had to use a heavier thread to sew.
-Instead of the brackets & rods, I found an UMBRA double rod bracket & rod set at Home Outfitters for $14 regular $40. woo!!
-I don't have a sewing machine, nor am I an established sewer...but this is all straight simple lines and I went over to my Mom's house to do it!
-after doing mine, my Family Fun magazine subscription came in the mail...and wouldn't they just have it in theirs as a project, but they did theirs no-sew...all with iron-on adhesive. So you have options!!
-The flowers I used as accents I made, and the tutorial for them are on my sidebar under "favourites"

Some more pics :)
I apologize that they are so super grainy.
Camera issues. Grr.


From the side: it comes out from the wall about 4".

Flower accents (see tutorial under Favourites in my sidebar)
Also...can you tell we LOVE Pinkalicious? Look at all her man-handling "laugh lines"
We also have Purplicious.



Better pics! Finally (new camera)




{la la la la loooove it}
LINKED UP TO PARTIES ON MY LEFT SIDEBAR!!
Thanks :)
I've been FEATURED on:
UndertheTableandDreaming

26 comments:

Nikki ~ I will follow U Back! said...

I do love this! It's awesome!! I want one in my son's room next to his bed. He comes home with library books every week from school and that is where they can go so they don't get mixed in with his own.Plus then they are handy for the nightly tuck in. OH and you could make one for next to the toilet for those who love the "bathroom library" HA.

Thanks for sharing!! I'm now a follower!
~Nikki

C.R.A.F.T. said...

this is genius!I am featuring yours next Monday! :) be sure to grab a button if you want!

Twigs and Twirls said...

I really love this !!! What a great idea. This would be great for my daughter. She loves books and the are usually strewed all over her floor when she is trying to decide which one to read for bedtime. This way they would be organized (unlike her bookshelf)

gypsykate said...

your so clever. I am going to make one of these for both my daughters and my room.

Jami said...

I saw this in FF mag and was thinking "I'd rather sew mine". I love the fabric you used. It's on my to-do list. :)

Kate @ kate elizabeth. said...

I'm a new follower from Tater Tots & Jello. I love this! Definitely going to make one for my craft room. :) Maybe you could stop by and see my results sometime!

glimpses of normallicy or is it just a fallacy said...

I am going to make one of these for my bathroom ! My teen leave books in there all the time,on the floor...GROSS! This will go where the towel bar is now just in case it is scarred up a bit even after paint it won't matter with this beauty there ! Awesome ! Thanks for sharing !

Lorie said...

I love this!!! It is gorgeous!

Cherish This Life! said...

GENIUS! I LOVE it, that is such a great idea. So simple but yet so different. I can't wait to make one for my daughter's room - and maybe even my Hubby's bathroom, LOL! Thanks for the details, this is awesome!

GoatNotes said...

What an adorable idea. I was thinking of making something like that for my son close to the ground. I am thinking mini library corner! Thanks for sharing!

Page@ThriftyNiftyWise said...

Just found your blog and I love it! What a great (and very cute!) idea :)

Jenglamgirl said...

LOVE THIS, TOTALLY UTTERLY LOVE! thanks for the inspiration. Jen

Megan said...

Your book sling came out great! The fabric flowers are a cute addition.
I'm always so flattered when I see someone following my tutorial. Thanks!

Amy (naptimecrafters) said...

so cute- you've got a great blog! Thanks for visiting naptime crafters:)

vanessa @ silly eagle books said...

I made these for my girls', too! I love how you embellished it with the roses!! So cute! Here are the links to mine: http://www.sillyeaglebooks.com/2010/09/decorating-childrens-rooms-lucias.html
http://www.sillyeaglebooks.com/2010/09/decorating-childrens-rooms-juliets-big.html

Polly said...

What a fun idea! I've seen rain gutter shelves similar to this, but this would be a nice alternative. We love the Pinkalicious books too, and I just found out that they have a couple of easy reader Pinkalicious books coming out. We put them on hold at the library.

AliLilly said...

I love it I love it I LOVE IT!! I'm DEFINITELY doing this one!! :)

henktracy said...

Wow! looks stunning
This is going on my to-do-list

AM from White House, Black Shutters said...

Saw you posted this in the comments on "Fingerprints on the Fridge," I love it! Thanks os much for posting it there so I could see this. ;)

New follower, have a great week!
-Ann Marie

Andi @ Potential Treasures said...

what a great idea! love it!
I'm a new follower. feel free to check out my blog!

Cara @ Twice Lovely Furniture said...

YOU are fun. I love it too. Thanks for linking to our 1st party.

amieggs said...

so cute... I love it!!!

allenaim photography and design said...

Brilliant...great new use for those double rods on clearance by themselves...my brain's churning....:)

Inspire Me Heather said...

Wow, I just love this idea! I linked it up to my "bookshelves" project post too, come on over and check it out!

http://livingatthewhiteheadszoo.blogspot.com/ said...

These are super cute! Thanks for sharing. New follower =)

http://livingatthewhiteheadszoo.blogspot.com

Liz @ thequickjourney.blogspot.com said...

that is too cute! i love how it adds color... and i think i MAY be able to do that! :)

Post a Comment

I appreciate every comment & question and read them all! please do leave one :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails